Help the pigs
Fire at the Sanctuary
Fire in the kitchen.

Fire in the kitchen.

On Friday, March 10th 2006, a fire destroyed the Education Center at Pigs Peace Sanctuary.

An early morning fire at Pigs Peace Sanctuary in Stanwood Washington destroyed the sanctuary's Education Center and nearly claimed the life of a family friend. The guest woke at 3 AM to find heavy smoke. He escaped unharmed but the building was a total loss.

The fire marshal determined that the fire was accidental and started by the heat of the wood stove chimney. The fire spread from the attic to the rest of the building.

Fire spread through the bathroom.

Volunteers enjoy lunch after a work party.

The Education Center housed the classroom, a library, kitchen, bathroom and laundry facility for the sanctuary. It also held all the photos and newsletters from the last 12 years.

Every Sunday countless visitors were welcomed into this center for the Sanctuary. Two weeks ago the room was full of joyous volunteers sharing a potluck meal after hours of laboring in love for the animals. Sadly, the day of the fire we had to cancel the 7th and 8th grade classes that were scheduled to visit the Sanctuary.

Fire also damaged electrical wiring for the sanctuary barns leaving them without power for lights and, more importantly, for the pump which supplies water to the Sanctuary. Drinking water for the pigs was brought in from offsite.

Fire spread through the bathroom.

The room in shambles.

What lies ahead is the daunting task of hauling away the damage and rebuilding. Insurance will cover some of the replacement but building costs have increased and there won't be enough money to rebuild. We will need help.

Clean up work party dates and wish list items will be posted here soon so check back for updates.

Fire in the kitchen.

Potluck area now destroyed.

The Sanctuary needs your financial help now. You can donate through PayPal, send a check, or bring a donation directly to Pigs Peace Sanctuary or to Sidecar for Pigs Peace.

Read Judy's message button